International Interdisciplinary Conference
Conceptualising the Divine:
Revelations, Internalisations and Identifications with the Divine
in the Greek, Near Eastern and African Worlds
20–22 April 2017, North-West University (Potchefstroom)
Proposals are invited for papers on the conference theme, which aims at contextualising the concepts of the divine, focusing on revelations, internalisations and identifications with the divine in the Greek, Near Eastern and African worlds. Possible areas of interest involve public and personal religious attitudes, ways of religious interactions, divination, magic, the mysteries, Orphic cosmogony, internalisations of the divine, epiphanies, theurgy, unions with the divine and philosophical approaches for establishing these unions. The conference theme is inclusive of a wide range of specialisations, including Classical, Hellenistic and Late Antique Literature, Neoplatonism, Gnosticism, comparative religious studies, Jewish, Christian and Patristic literature; and religious texts from Persia, Babylonia and Northern Africa (Egypt, Libya, Numidia and Mauretania). The conference aims at publishing a selection of papers in a peer-reviewed edition.
Ian Rutherford, University of Reading
Robert Ritner, University of Chicago
Titles with short abstracts (500 words) should be submitted to Eleni Pachoumi at: email@example.com. Submission deadline: 20 February 2017.
Practical information about the conference:
- The conference will be held at the sports village conference venue of the Potchefstroom Campus of North-West University ( http://www.nwu.ac.za/content/nwu-potchefstroom-campus )
- The town of Potchefstroom (http://www.potch.co.za/aabout.htm ) is about one and a half hours drive from Johannesburg/OR Tambo Airport.
- Transport from Johannesburg airport to Potchefstroom and back to the airport will be arranged for the day before and after the conference.
- Delegates will be assisted with finding accommodation in the conference venue at the sports village on campus: http://www.nwu.ac.za/content/rcs-nonrespsv or from the wide range of guesthouses near the campus. Cf. for instance: http://www.macachette.co.za/ http://www.potchefstroom.co.za/accommodation/accomodation.html https://www.safarinow.com/destinations/potchefstroom/hub.aspx
- Information on the conference fee and planned excursions will be communicated to delegates when finalised.
For further information, please, contact Eleni Pachoumi at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Eleni Pachoumi
School of Ancient Language and Text Studies
North West University
Faculty of classics
Ioannou Centre for Classical and Byzantine Studies